The Company was originally established in 1895 by Francis Henry Davy as The Bradford Waste Pulling Co Ltd on the same site that it occupies today and was engaged in the processing of mohair and alpaca laps for recombing. It was also one of a number of companies in the Bradford area offering garnetting on a commission basis. Shortly before the First World War, the plant was extended to include the processing of wool worsted spinning threadwastes providing a raw material for the woollen spinning and felt industries. In 1919 Francis’s son Walter joined him in the Company following his service in the Royal Navy and over the next few years the Company gradually developed into one of the major textile waste processing plants in Europe.
The third decade of the twentieth century saw the introduction of condenser spinning and for the next 25-30 years yarns were produced using rami noils from the Yangtze River Basin and pure silk noils from various sources in the Far East. This in turn led to the establishment of a silk processing plant in Bradford. The yarns were used for ladies dress goods manufacturing in Ireland and France. During the war years, silk yarns were used for shot bags for the munitions industry. The post war years saw huge quantities of alpaca and camelhair fleece being prepared for the woollen spinning industry.
In 1949 Walter’s eldest son Keith joined the Company after serving in the Royal Navy and 3 years at University of Leeds. He was followed in 1959 by the youngest son, Roger whose involvement mainly concentrated in the running of the mill. Walter continued to work until an accident at work in 1963 after which he took a lesser part in the general running of the mill. Roger carried on in the running of the mill until 1991 when he retired.
In 1963, Keith Davy started the merchanting business, Keith Davy(Crantock)Limited, which to avoid conflict with the Bradford Waste Pulling Co’s commission customers dealt entirely with synthetic staple fibres and wastes. During the 1980s export markets were targeted and a move was made away from wool wastes into technical fibres and the dehairing of cashmere.
In the 1980s, one of Keith sons Mark, joined the company, and is at present successfully running the company on the same site. The company now specialises in synthetic fibres and are merchants of these fibres alongside the processing division within the company.
Take a look at our history pictures, in the gallery.